Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mini Recap - Luxembourg Poker Association - Team-Cup Series 2009

This is a small recapitulation and how it went for our Team at the LPA http://www.lpa.lu/
"Team-Cup Series" Luxembourg Championship - Heat 1
on Saturday 7th of November 2009 in the village of Beckerich, not far from my home. Luxembourg is so small, nothing seems to be far from my home :-)

While I write this I am playing a 5$ 114 entries No Limit Holdem Tournament on Ultimate Bet, my nickname over there is "Bananasoup". (Oops have just been disposed off with KK by the sword of a two pair + open-ended straight-draw) Writing a post for your blog while you play Poker is definitely a bad idea ;-)

Anyway...
back to Team-Cup.

As we (Naho, Tet and me) were walking towards the entry of a nearby Shopping center called Topaze (Mersch) I fell over a guy with whom I sometimes play cards in a Café named Kotton Club in Mersch. I also have seen him at a few Tournaments I went to. Now guess what were talking about after a few moments, exactly, not about the weather ;-), he told me something about a Tourney he wanted to play in a couple of weeks, and that he still needed a player in order to subscribe as a team of four. There apparently were 32 Teams of 4 players (128 players). I told him I would love to play, even though I did not know any of the other guys in the team.

On 7th of November we got the cards in the air. There were 2 heats to be played on the same day, one would last about 4 hours. All teams were randomly dispersed on 15 tables. My first table was quite lose, so I tried to not get involved too much in the beginning and was mostly waiting for decent hands in position to play, from time to time I limp-called min- or small raises from late position, as we were quite deep in chips in the beginning, 5000 chips and 25-50 blinds, this structure gives you room for quite some play.

My session went quite smoothly and I managed to slowly build up my stack, I also was kind of lucky in the right spots as there were 5-6 players left, I picked up quad 8's and quad Aces and got paid with both. As the blinds went up fast towards the end of the first heat I started to turn up the aggression and was chip leader for quite some time, but I could not manage to keep my stack as the other 3 remaining players turned up the heat a lot, and I could not find any proper spots to steal or to re-steal. I also had no playable cards for about an hour, so I lost a big part of my stack and was not able to do a lot until I finally got Queens while I was the shortest stack on the table after another player busted, in this situation being short on chips, my goal was to get it all in versus only one of my opponents, which I managed to do, he went all in after a raise and a re raise pref lop, I called, he flipped over 22 and caught a 2 on the river. That's ok with me, as long as I am way ahead pre-flop, you cannot be angry if someone sucks out on you on the river, that's just poker. So in the first heat I managed to get a 3rd place (6 points).

The second heat went even better, I got way less good hands, but was able to build my stack continuously. I will not go into more detail, all I can say is that heads up play was very aggressive, our chip stacks were even and I got an Ace 3 times in a row, each time I went all in over the top of his raise, he never called, after an endless session of "all in or fold" from both of us, I felt like he lost patience, I could see the grim look on his face after each of my words "I'm all in", I was sure he would call me with any good hand he would catch, very soon. The final hand was an "All in" which I snap-called, he showed A8off, I flipped over A10 of spades, this time my opponent did not manage to catch and I went for the 10 points.

When the final results were announced late in the evening, I guess it was 11 pm, my team almost squeezed me to death, :-) the Team Captain's sentence was so true, if I would have been only second in the last tournament of the event, we would not have been first of the leader board :-) (lol, it took so long, we were the last 2 players battling it out)


Each one of us also won something like 145 €, which is not bad at all. (a little Bankroll Boost is always welcome)

Thanks to the RedBullTeam !!!

You can find more pictures here under Team-Cup:
http://lpa.lu/lpa2009/photo_gallery0910/index.html

Results are here:
http://www.lpa.lu/lpa2009/big0910/Team_cup_results_nov7.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment